HOW SAFE ARE MODERN WOODWORM TREATMENTS?
The simple answer is - very safe. The UK HSE licensed Insecticides have all been
tested over many years and have a good safety record for humans in general. However,
there are areas of concern, so before using ANY CHEMICAL in your house you need
to consider a few issues. Under the COSHH - Control of Substances Hazardous to
Health - Regulations, we should not use ANY chemical without justification and
full awareness of its possible health and safety risks and hazards.
WHAT ISSUES SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT IF I WANT TO HAVE MY HOUSE TREATED FOR
Firstly, is the woodworm a recent and therefore 'active' attack - old dirty
holes do not need treatment. You do not want any chemical, no matter how safe,
in your house if there is no need for it. Secondly, is the proposed Chemical
going to be smelly or will it affect other residents like pets - fish and birds,
for example - some chemicals in common use are highly toxic to fish and birds
(Pyrethroids - Permethrin, Cypermethrin, Deltamethrin). Remember that the insecticide
chemical may be 'carried' in other chemicals - emulsions or solvents for example
- these can leave an unpleasant odour. Thirdly, does the proposed chemical
give off any vapour - so will it leave the wood over time - could it cause problems
for sensitive people in your house, like babies or asthmatics?
WHICH CHEMICALS ARE THE SAFEST FOR WOODWORM TREATMENT
Those chemicals that do not give off a vapour, are only carried in water, have
no smell and stay in the wood long term. The only ones that qualify are Boron
based, carried in water only.
can I buy Boron based Woodworm Treatment?
WOOD PRESERVATIVE AND BIOCIDE SAFETY
wood preservatives and biocides safely. Always read the label and product information
Data Sheet before use.
the correct safety equipment and keep unprotected people and animals out of the
treated area for the statutory period given on the label.
products have some hazards and the COSHH Regulations (Control of Substances Hazardous
to Health) apply to ALL building repair and construction products that we sell,
If in doubt
consult us for free technical help. Take care not to contaminate soil, waterways
or the environment with the product or the waste and packaging. These can be returned
to us for disposal.
using any type of chemical in your home if any of the following are likely to
come into contact with treated surfaces: babies, young children, asthmatics, pregnant
women or those vulnerable due to ill health.
Policy | Returns
Policy | Home Page
T: 01626 872886
Other Property Repair Systems
- how to use Boron based insecticides/fungicides to treat timber rots
and insect attack
- how to treat penetrating dampness in walls and plaster
- how to treat patio decks and yacht decks
- how to kill Dry Rot in buildings
- membranes for lining damp walls, floors, basements and cellars
- epoxy resins for repairing wood, concrete, brick and stone
- upgrade doors to 30 minutes fire resistance
- how to quickly repair joists and beams of any size
- treat steel with Intumescent Paint to provide fire protection
- systems of repair, with step by step methods
- how to repair timber beams
- how to kill and prevent woodworm and death watch beetle