COMMON FURNITURE BEETLE
size - 1mm to 2mm in diameter.
Furniture Beetle - 2.5 to 5mm long
furniture beetle, Anobium Punctatum, has a 5 year life cycle, but the adult only
lives for a few weeks and cuts the hole you see in order to exit and find a mate.
Eggs are laid onto the timber surface or in old holes. The baby grubs bore back
in and the cycle repeats.
DEATH WATCH BEETLE
size - 3mm in diameter.
Watch Beetle - 6 to 9mm long
Watch beetle, Xestobium rufovillosum, has an 8 to 10 year life cycle, but the
adult rarely visits the surface. Eggs are laid inside the timber or in old tunnels.
I treated my floor 3 months ago, but fresh holes are still appearing. Why?
Because of the life cycle of the common furniture beetle the surface treatment
can only kill the new eggs that are laid - the wood worm grubs live deep in the
wood and cannot be reached with a normal surface treatment.
How long does a Woodworm live?
Up to 5 years, before changing into a beetle and emerging to mate.
here to visit the complete Woodworm Treatment Site
How long does the Beetle live? Does it eat the wood?
Up to 3 weeks and no, it does not eat.
Do Woodworm have teeth?
Yes, the Adult Beetle cuts an exit hole with its teeth. Using a x 8 Magnifier
you can see the bite marks and from these guess whether the emergence is recent
or old from the sharpness of the edges and the bright or dull colour of the cuts.
I have woodworm in some old furniture. Is it likely to infest my flooring?
Not very likely - the eggs cannot burrow in through paint, varnish, wax or
can I buy Boron based Woodworm Treatment?
Policy | Returns
Policy | Home Page
T: 01626 872886
written by: David
B.A. (Hons.), C.T.I.S., C.R.D.S. Technical Author
Other Property Repair Systems
- how to use Boron based insecticides/fungicides to treat timber rots
and insect attack
- how to treat penetrating dampness in walls and plaster
- how to treat patio decks and yacht decks
- how to kill Dry Rot in buildings
- membranes for lining damp walls, floors, basements and cellars
- epoxy resins for repairing wood, concrete, brick and stone
- upgrade doors to 30 minutes fire resistance
- how to quickly repair joists and beams of any size
- treat steel with Intumescent Paint to provide fire protection
- systems of repair, with step by step methods
- how to repair timber beams
- how to kill and prevent woodworm and death watch beetle